Friday, April 04, 2008

R.I.P. Desmond

Once upon a time in Office Land during my training period I used to handle supplies and that included the supply of nuts,bolts,washers etc. as well. So one fine day, when I was walking acting all coolio with a coffee in one hand and unimportant papers in the other (that is what I do to make people think I am on something important and leave me at peace), a ...well..a..gentleman asked me where the studs and nuts were. I told him nicely they were in the 'pipeline', an office slang for things being in transit. But he obviously wanted to act witty and asked me "How long is this pipeline anyway?" I had to act witty too then, I told him I can be a stud sometimes and he is always a nut. He didn't get it. Maut, the death of a repartee.

I don't know why I pick the wrong people to play around with. People like the head of departments. I was walking past his cabin and he called out to me "AYE! Come!" and I looked back, up, down, around, here, there and asked him "Who me?" There wasn't anyone around me for miles and I knew that too. It was more like a reflex. I honestly don't know why I did it. I was just glad I didn't get fired.

One of the plant assosciates had his birthday a week back. Since we do not have a separate tea time, the people on the shop floor just gather around and break for 10 minutes on the shop floor only. They decided to gift him flowers and asked me to present it to him while they stood around us and clapped. I felt special. And embarrassed too. Teehee!

A pigeon flew into the office. Through the AC duct. It fluttered. Poor thing also banged against the glass window wanting to go out. So we opened the door and showed him the way out. And it flew away..go birdie go..But birdie left its dropping on Sachin's computer. Bad Birdie.
A friend of mine had told me about a cockroach in her office. A similar thing happened in mine too. So the cockroach decided to run here and there. The women obviously..created a..eee..aa..you know? Yea, we know. So.. our peon, our knight in the shining armour killed the roach. And one of those very women went "Awwww Desmond! :-("
We dont have any Desmond in office. Turns out..the woman had named the roach Desmond while creating a..you know? And now she is sad that it is dead. 'Desmond' it seems. Fancy names.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

F u n.

Ashish Shakya said...

You rugged working-on-shop-floor-mech-engineer types gift each other fuckin flowers on a birthday?? How very dainty and polite.

I would've imagined birthday bumps involving creative use of heavy machinery.

Anonymous said...

She named it while wanting it dead? Women must be evil!
-Ananya

Ire said...

Ummm, that was quick! poor desmond!

ad libber said...

@the_new_cynic
course not, she was kind, she did not want it to go to its grave nameless

ad libber said...

or rather @ ananya the anonymous

Anonymous said...

Dis she actually call the roach by that name??

Anonymous said...

u have been tagged...yet again!!!